Palmetto Lowcountry Behavioral Health is offering an abstinence-based substance abuse treatment model that incorporates specific trauma-based treatment modalities to address the unique challenges faced by the men and women of our armed forces.
The military substance abuse treatment program is grounded in the principles found in the 12-steps and utilizes the world renowned Matrix Model to serve as the foundation for clinical programming.
Length of stay is individualized and dependent on many factors. Programming is based on the traditional 28 day substance abuse treatment model. However, length of stay can be longer if the patient has the need for more intensive treatment for trauma or relapse prevention. For active duty personnel, date of return to duty is based on on-going communication between the Command Structure, Military Medical Personnel and the Palmetto Treatment Team.
Trauma Focused Therapy
While working with patients on their addictions issues, we assess and provide therapy geared toward resolution of trauma-related issues. This is achieved through both individual and group processes that include education about trauma effects, identification of triggers, identification of patients’ needs in order to feel safe, teaching anxiety management skills, and identifying and practicing new coping skills.
Patients receive a diverse level of treatment offerings through the day and evening. Some program highlights are as follows:
- Medical detoxification services to address the physical symptoms of withdrawal
- Award winning/evidence based Hazelden Matrix Model
- Early recovery intervention treatment groups
- Daily 12 step groups
- Weekly clinical conference to discuss treatment progress and ongoing communication with referral sources
- Psychiatric consultation and treatment from a team of physicians trained in addictions work specifically with military personnel
- A clinical team with a significant level of experience working with military personnel
- Weekly family sessions, as appropriate
- Trauma focused treatment to address symptoms and issues related to Post Traumatic Stress
- Weekly individual therapy from specially trained clinicians
Additional Program Features
- Longer term treatment options are available for individuals who may require more intensive treatment to address more serious issues related to trauma, depression, or other psychiatric symptoms or emotional problems, including substance abuse.
- Exercise Program: Palmetto offers a fully equipped exercise room for program participants. Patients in this program are given daily access.
- Family support, education and family sessions are an integral part of any patient’s recovery and are also provided as part of the treatment regime.
Palmetto offers a full array of services including partial hospitalization and an intensive outpatient six week evening program for adults in recovery. All patients will be provided with referrals and follow up appointments prior to discharge.
To Make a Referral
Please call 843-747-5830 or toll-free at 877-947-3223 and ask to speak with a Needs Assessment Counselor. Also when calling please specify you are calling regarding the military inpatient program. We accept admissions 24/7. Please note that this is an intensive hospital based treatment program where patients are housed on locked units in different buildings on our campus.